Q: My puzzle arrived but there's no picture on the box?
A: Our wood box puzzles and Mystery Puzzles do not come with an image on the box, this makes them harder. They do contain the image inside the box (usually hidden at the bottom), and that image is a big sticker you can put on the top of your box if you prefer.
Q: What is the difference between the Ecru Puzzles and the standard Artifact Puzzles?
A: See this blog post for an explanation of the differences.
Q: Do you ship to places not in the USA?
- Canada: Order off our website like normal, you will be charged a flat $30 shipping fee. We ship with USPS, so you should not be charged additional customs fees.
- Europe / Australia / Singapore / Japan: Order by email. We will send you a shipping quote that includes:
- the cost of the puzzles requested
- + the actual cost of shipping it to you (we usually find USPS is cheapest and has least surprise fees)
- + $5 extra processing fee
- your address
- which in-stock puzzles you want
Your country not listed? We may or may not be able to ship to it - email us firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Q: What are your shipping times and policies?
- Standard shipping (free for all US addresses) typically uses USPS Retail Ground or UPS Ground service or better, with an estimated time of 1-8 days after you order.
- Expedited shipping typically uses USPS Priority Mail or UPS 3 Day Select service or better, with an estimated time of 1-5 days after you order.
- Priority shipping uses USPS Priority Mail Express or UPS 2nd Day Air or better, with an estimated total time to delivery time of 1-4 days depending if you are on the West Coast (faster) or the East Coast (could be 4 days).
- Tracking information will be sent automatically when an order ships. Please check your email's spam folder for any tracking messages from us. If you did not include an email, tracking info will be sent by text.
- Orders placed on our website may be sent using USPS or another service, but the recipient address must be eligible for USPS delivery. Certain addresses may not be eligible for the fastest shipping speeds, in which case your order will be shipped with the fastest available speed and the cost difference will be refunded to you.
- Orders are processed as quickly as possible after they are placed, usually within two business days. Unforeseeable circumstances, such as hurricanes, may lead to delays, both in order processing and shipment.
- We may change our policies in the future, without prior notice. Please check back here for the most up-to-date policy as necessary.
Q: How do I contact you guys?
A: Email us at email@example.com. Our median response time is 2-4 hours during California daylight. For a faster answer - check if your question is covered in this FAQ.
Q: Can you guys gift-wrap for me? Can I include a gift message?
A: Yes, add our gift wrap product to your order once, and we will gift wrap all the puzzles in your order (that is, it is a flat fee). We will also add a note saying From X, where X is the name on the billing address for the order. We do not do custom gift messages.
Q: Do you guys sell gift cards?
A: Yes! You can buy digital gift cards in any amount $10 and up. Gift cards are delivered by email and contain instructions to redeem them at checkout. Our gift cards have no additional processing fees, and have no expiration date.
Q: The puzzle I want says it's SOLD OUT, when will it be back in stock?
A: If a puzzle says SOLD OUT, it will be back in-stock eventually, but it could be many moons.
Sign up to get an email when the puzzle you want comes back in stock (just go to the puzzle's page and a pop-up window should take your email address). We prioritize making puzzles a lot of people have signed-up for, so signing-up matters!
Some puzzles marked "sold out" are actually still in the design-phase, the way to tell is look if it's on our Coming Soon page, if yes, it could be many months before we actually get it in stock.
If you really badly want a particular puzzle back in stock soon or need it by a particular date, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll see what we can do.
Q: We're missing a piece or a piece is broken - can you help?
A: Yes! Email us (at email@example.com) a digital camera photo of the completed puzzle so we can see which piece is missing (if you have a fancy cell phone you should be able to take a photo with your cell phone and email it directly from your camera). We'll try to re-create the piece for you as best we can, and send it to you at any US address. First replacement pieces are always free, no questions asked (we reserve the right to charge for repeated replacements). Usually takes 5-14 days to get to you, and usually you can't tell it's a replacement piece unless you look really close.
If you are an international customer, we unfortunately will have to charge for our shipping costs in order to send you a replacement piece.
Q: Can I cancel my order?
A: Yes if your order isn't already shipped-out. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, please give us the order number! If your order is already shipped-out, you can still return un-opened puzzles (see below).
Q: Can I change the shipping address on an order I already placed?
A: Yes if your order isn't already shipped-out. Email us at email@example.com.
Q: Can I return my order?
A: We are happy to accept returns of un-opened puzzles, at any point in time. Email us to let us know, and we'll give you the address to ship it back. (We can't pay for shipping unless we made some kind of error, but we'll refund or replace the full puzzle.) Email us for the correct address and to let us know it's coming at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to return a puzzle you've already opened, contact us and we'll figure out how we can help on a case-by-case basis.
Q: Some, but not all, of my puzzles arrived, should I be worried?
A: Unless your order is very large, your puzzles should all arrive together. If you've received some but not all your puzzles there's a chance we made a mistake - please email us at email@example.com with your order number and the situation and we'll figure out what happened.
Q: What ages do you recommend your puzzles for?
A: We recommend our puzzles for adults and teens 14 years and older. Some younger kids may be great at puzzles and will also enjoy them, but be warned that puzzle pieces are a choking hazard. And keep puzzle pieces away from dogs who enjoy chewing on them! Also, some of our puzzles have some sharp points.
Some of our puzzle images have cartoon nudity, fine art nudity, or skeletons, cartoon violence, or other depictions of violence that may not be welcome or appropriate for all puzzlers. If we think it's possible an image has such content we think someone might possibly be concerned about, we will warn you in the product description. Please use your own judgment regarding each image, child, and their parents.
Q: Where are your puzzles made?
A: All our puzzles are made in Fremont, California (which is part of "Silicon Valley", which is about 45 minutes southeast of San Francisco if the traffic is light, which it never is). From 2013-2019, our puzzles were made in Menlo Park, California (also in "Silicon Valley"). Before October 2013, all our puzzles were made in Seattle, Washington.
Q: What kind of wood do you use?
A: Like most wooden jigsaw puzzle makers, we use plywood. Our plywood is a formaldehyde-free maple plywood (USA, FSC-certified). (Technical notes: "formaldehyde-free plywood means there is no formaldehyde in the glue, and is a new technology that you won't find in a normal hardwood store; however, the wood itself has a small amount of naturally-occuring formaldehyde in it that no one knows how to remove.)
Q: How thick is the wood you use?
A: We use American 1/4" plywood. Note American plywood is described as 1/4" thick but it is really more like 7/32" thick, it's a wood industry quirk.
Q: What's a "whimsy piece"?
A: Pieces that are specially shaped are called whimsy pieces. Many of our puzzles contain "figurative whimsy pieces" that are recognizable as something; for example, the Tyukanov Moon Puzzle has pieces shaped like a Boeing 747, an astronaut, a kite, a waterplane, a hawk, etc. Some of our puzzles instead only have special decorative pieces, like Renoir Oarsmen or the Dennis Brady. We also offer extra-hard puzzles without any whimsy or special pieces, and where the connectors are the same so that you really have to pay attention to the image such as our Hokusai Dragon, Bundi Miniature, Deccan Miniature, and Ong Khan puzzles.
Q: What are Mystery Puzzles? Can I buy them with the label on the box?
A: Our Mystery Puzzles are meant to provide an extra fun challenge by not telling you what the image is. You can read all about them on our Mystery Puzzles page.
Q: Would you make a custom puzzle for me?
A: Generally we don't do custom puzzles. Only if you're interested in ordering at least 250 puzzles. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing. If you are a museum/gallery/artist interested in working with us to design a puzzle using a particular art piece or artist, feel free to pitch us your idea at email@example.com.