Last Saturday April 17, we held the first ever National Artifact Puzzles Speed Puzzling Contest over Zoom, in collaboration with Speed Puzzling.
140 top puzzlers registered across the nation, about half competed in the Individuals category, and around half with a teammate in the Pairs category.
We shipped a sealed secret new puzzle out to everyone ahead of time, and everyone opened theirs at the same time on Zoom.
The new puzzle, Iwona Lifsches Poohsticks will be available to everyone to buy in a few days.
Congrats to the amazing 8 prize winners who placed in the top-4 in each category!
The median Individual time was exactly 1 hour, the winners clocked-in at:
- Individual 1st Place: Kate Henschel of Maine, at 28 minutes, 50 sec
- Individual 2nd Place: Rebecca Tushnet of Virginia, at 32 minutes, 51 sec
- Individual 3rd Place: Lauren Kautz of Minnesota, at 34 minutes, 44 sec
- Individual 4th Place: Will Flannery of Virginia, at 35 minutes, 2 sec
The median Pairs time was 55 minutes, the winners clocked-in at:
- Pairs 1st Place: Ariana Murphy and Morgan Leak of Viriginia at 23 minutes, 36 sec
- Pairs 2nd Place: EB and Dan Caron of Massachusetts at 24 minutes, 48 seconds
- Pairs 3rd Place: Sophia and Zeb Figura of Iowa at 27 minutes, 2 seconds
- Pairs 4th Place: Emily and Claire Cheng of California at 28 minutes, 37 seconds.
Will we run another such contest? We hope to run either a fall contest or another contest next spring, also by Zoom. Some changes we are considering for those events are:
- Different secret puzzles for the Pairs and Individual, so people could participate in both
- Maybe make it a mystery puzzle, so there is no box image and no preview of the image
- Open it up to international puzzlers (this one was US only)
Got feedback? Post a blog comment, thanks!