This is the 3rd annual Artifact Puzzles USA National Speed-Puzzling Contest that you can participate in from the comfort of your living room!
Individuals/Pair Categories: You pick if you'd like to complete in the solo (Individuals: Adults or Under-18) or in a team of 2 (Pairs) by purchasing the right variant of this product. The puzzles will be different, so you can compete in both.
Which Puzzle? Everyone will do the same totally secret, never-before-seen Artifact wood jigsaw puzzle at the same time. You keep your contest puzzle after the contest.
- The Individuals puzzle will have 262 pieces, and be average hard, with a whimsical irregular edge.
- The Pairs puzzle will have 350-425 pieces, and be average hard, with a decorative irregular edge.
- There will be a small picture on the box like usual for Artifact Puzzles.
- Contest happens Saturday April 22 on Zoom:
- 11:00 am CDT for Individuals ( = 9am West Coast, noon East Coast)
- 1:30 pm CDT for Pairs ( = 11:30am West Coast, 2:30pm East Coast)
- The puzzle and directions will ship to you by April 15 by USPS Priority shipping (usually takes 2-4 days). The box will say do NOT open on it!
- Everyone opens up their shipping boxes at the same time on the Zoom video-conference, and starts puzzling at the same time.
Where: Your living room! The contest will be run on Zoom (by computer) by Jonathon Cluff of SpeedPuzzling.com. If you've never used Zoom before, we can set-up a practice zoom call with you.
- Individuals Contest: $70 (you keep the puzzle)
- Pairs Contest: $100 (one of you keeps the puzzle)
Prizes: Yes! For each of Individuals, Individuals-Under-18, and Pairs, we are giving 3 prizes (so 9 prizes total):
- First Place: your choice of any puzzle we make except Nueve, or a 1 year membership to the Hoefnagel Puzzle Club
- Second Place: your choice of any puzzle we make 600 pieces or less or a 6 month membership to the Hoefnagel Puzzle Club
- Third Place: your choice of any puzzle we make 400 pieces or less or a 3 month membership to the Hoefnagel Puzzle Club
How Do I Register?: Purchase this product and make sure to fill in your email, phone number, and shipping address when you check-out.
How Many Contestants Will There Be?: We are limited to 125 entrants each for the Individual contest and 100 entrants for the Pairs contests.
USA Only: To make sure we can get everyone their secret contest puzzle by April 22, we can accept only USA entrants.
- We'll ship you the puzzle April 15th by USPS Priority shipping.
- We'll email contestants a link by April 20th before to join the Zoom meeting on April 22nd.
- The judges will check each contestant’s camera setup and that they have not opened the shipping box guarding the puzzle.
- There will be brief instructions given, and everyone will open their shipping box and remove the wrapping LIVE, on camera.
- Then we will start the timer, and everyone will puzzle simultaneously.
- While only the fastest puzzlers will get prizes, everyone is encouraged to finish the puzzle and clock-in their fastest time, that is the event will run a full two hours, not just until the first three people finish.
- After the contest is over, and all entries have been verified, we will the blog the completion times and names of the fastest puzzlers.
- You CAN participate in both contests if you want.
- Puzzling Tools: Sorting trays and box top holders are allowed. Other tools
(spatulas, magnifying glasses, cell phone cameras) are NOT.
Each puzzle is a new Artifact Puzzle that is not listed on our website.
Each puzzle is average hard as our puzzles go, but on the trickier side of average hard as they will have irregular edges (no straight edge pieces).
- We expect the fastest puzzlers to be able to complete the Individuals puzzle in around 45 minutes, but it might take casual puzzlers 2-3 hours.
- We expect the fastest puzzlers to be able to complete the Pairs puzzle in around 1 hour, but it might take casual puzzlers 2-4 hours.
- The picture of the puzzle will be on-the-box, and it may help you go faster if you use the picture effectively.
- To qualify for the Under 18 category, you must email email@example.com before April 22 with a photo of you and your student ID card (or if you are don't have an ID card, have a parent or guardian attest you are under 18).
- There is not a separate category for Under-18 for the Pairs contest.
Tips: check out our post on "how the fastest puzzlers do it."